Mission Home Address:

Mission Home Address:
Elder James Eldon Riches
Brazil Fortaleza East Mission
Rua Republica da Armenia,765
Agua Fria
60821-760 Fortaleza-Ce
Brazil

Monday, January 5, 2015

Wow. 2015. 
I can't believe we have already made it to 2015!

i spent this entire week traveling. I was in Fortaleza in The Southern Fortaleza Stake serving with Elder Saraiva. While i was working there i had the chance to cook, learn, grow, and even cry.. Last monday we had the chance to watch Charley (An LDS Film). I didn't think i would cry but it wasn't the mood of the movie that made my feelings turn it was the perfect example of The Plan of Salvation that was shown. I had never seen a better example and i cried simply at how God's plan works so perfectly in our lives. I was very grateful for that expereience. :) 

We worked hard during the week and Wednesday i was able to meet my new companion Elder Háfele. He is from Rio Grande Do Sul, Brasil. :) I had the opurtunity to pass through the New-Missionary Training that was held for all Greenies arriving on the mission during Tues-Thursday. I learned that i hadn't forgetten English after all! :D I was asked to translate for 5-7 hours straight durning the Training. I translated for all 7 hours on both Wed and Thursday. I am sure they learned the message that our leaders wanted to pass but some of the times the New Americans looked back at me as if to say (Yea that doesn't make any sense in Enlgish) and i had to re phrase or do some Critical Thinking. I need to read The Book of Mormon in English more often :P


Another cool fact: I fooled my companion and another Brazillian into thinking that i was a Brazillian. I lost my Accent already so it is easy for me to "hide my americaness". The other missionary ended up believing it until i took out my documents and showed him. :P 
I also had a laugh wit hthe New Sisters. They come from Peru , Mexico, and Columbia. I started speaking Spanish with my best accent and they all asked me in Portuguese/Spanish were i was from and i wasn't sure which language to respond. In the end we had some good conversations and they felt more confortable learning portuguese knowing that an american can speak Portuguese in a Spanish accent. 


 Sunday morning after 10 hours of traveling we arrived finally in Pirajá, Juazeiro Do Norte - Ceará. This will be my new area for the next little while. 
We were sent here to help these wards here to turn into a Stake before June ends. I have been planning and praying with my comp to be guided as to khow we will do this;. We didn't even have time to do anything today besides email our families. We have been working super hard and we are opening this are with hardly any informaions and so with the help of 2 sisters and  another 2 Elders we (with the Lord's help) will change this City forever. :)

My new comp Elder Háfele is a great missionary and is excited to leave his old life to start a new one. He has only 2 years of membership in he Church. :) Wha a great opurunity i have.

Love Always,

Elder Riches

No comments:

Post a Comment