Mission Home Address:

Mission Home Address:
Elder James Eldon Riches
Brazil Fortaleza East Mission
Rua Republica da Armenia,765
Agua Fria
60821-760 Fortaleza-Ce
Brazil

Monday, January 6, 2014

In Brazil!!

I am in Brazil!!! I flew and waited for over 24 hours and spoke Portuguese the entire time! I made a ton of friends and I learned a ton of cool things. I spoke no English on the plane for the 11 hours or so because no one else beside the Sleeping missionaries down the lane were asleep. :P I am super thankful for that because it challenged my knowledge and i was able to come up with sentences that i didn't even know! i was super surprised how well I could speak and make conversations with people that I didn't even know.. Portuguese is such a beautiful language and i have no shortage of excitement to learn and grow within the language and the Gospel. :)

So i made it to Brazil and explained to everyone i met who our group was and what we were doing in Brazil. Everyone seemed generally happy to see us and a lot of them thanked us for what we, Mormon Missionaries, had been doing in their communities. It was an amazing experience to be able to talk with so many people about their life and that i could understand it all! :)

I was slightly confused when i went into this MTC for two reasons one, no one speaks English. Two, the first guy i talked to here is the head secretary and he told me i don´t speak Portuguese and i know hardly anything in French. I took it two ways immediately. First, learn better Portuguese. Second, that people in other countries told you how it was. I will have to get used to that. The life is great here! To be honest, i have never been more HOT in my life. The second i got off the plane the humidity hit and so did summer. It is beautiful here, but it is HOT!

So the MTC here is super unique, on P-days we get to travel on the streets, go to stores, meet people, etc... I can´t wait.

The Spirit here in this MTC is a peculiar one. When i got here it threw me off but now i am adjusting to it and i cannot wait to go to the Sao`Paulo Temple!
It is weird because no matter where i go, there is missionaries and none of them speak English except for our group of about 30 Americans out of 200 here at the MTC.

The Food....... Definitely a culture shock but nevertheless i am brave, I tried everything. We made a promise as a district to try everything and we have done well in keeping it. It tastes interesting, i don´t know how to describe it. :P
 I can´t believe that i will be in the mission field in less than 4 weeks and i don´t even have Preach My Gospel memorized!
Life is amazing here in Brazil and i thank God for giving me my Visa so i can preach and learn in this Beautiful Country. :)
I love you all and look forward to hearing back and emailing next week. Till next time!!!

Tchau! Tchau! Eu Che-Amo Tudo Mundo!!!
Elder Riches,

 Coming At You From Brazil!

No comments:

Post a Comment